Monday, July 18, 2011

MiFF AKA 14 days of fun

It's my favourite time of year! Not only is it my birthday (weeeeeeeeeeeeeee, last year of my 20s **shock **horror **booze) but Miff (Melbourne International Film Festival) begins. In actual fact, it ends the day after my birthday so the next two weeks will be a film filled build up to my day (it's MY DAY!!!!!)

Every year my sister and I (her birthday is three days after mine) get each other a festival emini pass which gets you 10 flicks and 3 extra ones before 5pm on a weekday. It's a bloody bargain and quite indulgent. Anyway, i haven't book all my films but here are a selections of the ones i'm heading to. I always favour documentaries but there are a couple of features thrown in also;

El Bulli (Documentary)

Said to profile the inner workings of the Spanish eatery, El Bulli exposes the genius behind the restaurants Chef, Ferran Adria. I have had a long standing fascination with him since my other culinary heart throb Anthony Bourdain visited on his TV show No Reservations. Adria is a true genius, less Chef more mad scientist. Very much looking forward to this!


I feel a bit sorry for poor ole Elliot. After the fall of the US financial system, the then New York State Attorney General rose to power only to be pulled back down to earth with a resonating thud. One of the key prosecutors of the powerful and wealthy, Spitzers skeletons were leaked to the New York Times which involved him in a prostitution ring that caused perhaps the only real Democratic hope to fall from grace.


Now, i have a fascination with Cults. Not that i'd ever be in one but i'm quite intrigued as to the nature of them and the people who choose to be in them. Most if not all are violent, crazy and just plane weird and it sounds like the one in this film is not different. The film follows Martha (the Olsen Twin's sister Elizabeth) escape from such a cult living in upstate New York. This film looks dark and slightly harrowing but said to be amazing non the less.

There are a lot more where these came from so visit the website and see for yourself.

Melbourne International Films Festival
21st July - 7th August 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment