Tuesday, July 19, 2011

True Genius


Anish Kapoor is one if those people whose work literally stops me in my tracks and makes me rethink everything i have ever done with my time and brain. I'm surrounded by a lot of creative people as part of my job and also my friends and aquaitances. I see people do great things and it's incredibly inspiring. This however, is different.

As part of Monumenta 2011, Kapoor created something quite extraordinary. The Paris based event is like no other, each year the French Ministry of Culture and Communication selects relevant and prolific contemporary artists to appropriate the Grand Palais Nave with art works specifically created for the event.

This year it was Kapoor's turn and as a result Leviathan was born. Now, i've seen some pretty impressive things in my time - The Parthenon, New York City, Joshua Tree National Park and George Clooney however Leviathan is something different and I have only seen photos.

I've written and deleted and re written my own review/appraisal of the work but nothing I say does it justice. What I will do is leave this photo, and link to the VIDEO that completely and utterly changed my opinion of this artist. He is a true visionary.

Anish Kapoor – Leviathan – Interior view of the artwork
© MONUMENTA 2011- Anish Kapoor – Leviathan – Interior view of the artwork. Photo Didier Plowy – All rights reserved Monumenta 2011, French Ministry for Culture and Communication


No comments:

Post a Comment